The “Old Dominion State” entered the union 220 years ago today, as the 10th state of the U.S.A.
Home of Thomas Jefferson, Booker T. Washington, Woodrow Wilson, Tom Wolfe, & Ella Fitzgerald, its capital is Richmond & its motto is “Sic Semper Tyrannis”, the same phrase said to have been exclaimed by John Wilkes Booth right after he shot President Lincoln.
by William Ernest Henley
(who passed away 105 years ago today)
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell cluth of cirumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
born 125 years ago today, founder of the Bauhaus in Germany
“Båten som fyltes og sank under meg er flytt opp igjen, den ligger og gynger på bølgene med kjølen i været der oppe til luvart, og det er en mulighet for at vind og sjø vil driven den nedover mot meg så jeg kan få fatt i den og bringe den på rett kjøl igjen og stige ombord og øse den lens og legge ut på ny. Men kanskje snur vinden seg igjen og driver båten fæn i vold.”
it’s been 140 years since he was born
“Love has no age, no limit; and no death.”
“If you do not think about your future, you cannot have one.”
it’s been 190 years since he was born, here’s to him
- “How can any man be weak who dares to be at all?”
- “Night is certainly more novel and less profane than day.”
- “Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.”
- “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.”
- “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.”
it’s been 140 years since Frank Lloyd Wright was born, here’s to him
“A free America, democratic in the sense that our forefathers intended it to be, means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call a democracy is only an expedient to enslave men to the machine and make him like it.”
“Toleration and liberty are the foundations of a great republic.”
it’s been 150 years since Clarence Darrow was born, here’s to him..
- “Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt.”
- “True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.”
- “I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure – that is all that agnosticism means.”
- “As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever.“
- “To think is to differ.”
- “No other offense has ever been visited with such severe penalties as seeking to help the oppressed.”
- “History repeats itself, and that’s one of the things that’s wrong with history.”
- “The pursuit of truth shall set you free – even if you never catch up with it.”
- “There is a soul of truth in error; there is a soul of good in evil.”
- “You can protect your liberties in this world only be protecting the other man’s freedom. You can be free only if I am free.”
- “Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.”
it’s been 60 years since Henry Ford passed away..
- “You don’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.”
- “You can’t learn in school what the world is going to do next year.”
- “Wealth, like happiness, is never attained when sought after directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service.”
- “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.“
- “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.”
- “Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty.”
I’m a little curious to see what will happen in the future of the automobile company that he started.