was born 170 years ago today, in Homer, Ohio, U.S.A.
- “I am a free lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please.”
- “I now announce myself as candidate for the Presidency. I anticipate criticism; but however unfavorable I trust that my sincerity will not be called into question.”
- “I shall not change my course because those who assume to be better than I desire it.”
- “If Congress refuse to listen to and grant what women ask, there is but one course left then to pursue. What is there left for women to do but to become the mothers of the future government?”
- “While others prayed for the good time coming, I worked for it.”
- “I retain not one ill-will recollection. I gave America my youth. It was sweet and gallant and fruitful.”
- “I endeavor to make the most of everything.”